Some say he changed painting forever. Some say he was “the greatest painter alive” during his lifetime. Some say he pioneered solutions to “the problems of contemporary painting” by using his art to frame the movements of humanity through time. But one thing is certain – Jackon Pollock is the major figure of Abstract Expressionism and one of the most important artists of the 20th century. Indeed, Mr. Pollock has been hailed as the harbinger of the abstract expressionism technique in painting. Although his brilliant artworks seem like chaos, they are actually pure harmony. The way the paint was splashed onto the canvas, or dripped on it, gave his abstract expressionism a level of distinctiveness in the similar way his personal life was different from other artists.
When I am in a painting, I’m not aware of what I’m doing. It is only after a sort of ‘get acquainted’ period that I see what I have been about. I have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc, because the painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through. It is only when I lose contact with the painting that the result is a mess. Otherwise, there is pure harmony, an easy give and take, and the painting comes out well.Jackson Pollock
For Jackson Pollock, everything was about the statement while the technique was just a way to arrive there. Today, Jackson Pollock’s paintings are some of the most expensive paintings in the world. The 2006 sale by record mogul David Geffen of Jackson Pollock’s “No. 5, 1948” for $140 million made it the most expensive painting ever sold to date, according to a report in The New York Times from Nov. 2 of that year. But where do we fit in, when his artworks reach eye-popping prices?
Luckily, we got the next best thing – Bearbrick figures covered in Jackson Pollock’s paintings. The best of both worlds. Artist collaborations have been heavily emphasized for Medicom Toy in the form of Bearbrick figures. When Medicom Toy started collaborating with Jackson Pollock Studios, the world got some seriously cool art collectibles. Unquestionably, these figures effectively translate Jackson Pollock’s unique design language onto our beloved collectible toys.
Here, we will examine all Jackson Pollock Bearbrick figures. Enjoy the show.
1) Bearbrick x Jackson Pollock Studio (Splash) 1000% — As the name suggests, the splash was one of the unique techniques Jackson Pollock was using. This involved laying a canvas flat on the floor and then pouring and splashing paint on top of it. Occasionally he poured it directly from a can, and sometimes he would use a stick, knife, brush, or syringe. The artist usually “rhythmically” moved around the canvas as he worked, which resulted in remarkable pieces of art. As such, this Bearbrick figure is also one truly spectacular art toy.
2) Bearbrick x Jackson Pollock Studio 1000% — This Jackson Pollock Bearbrick figure is all covered with his unique signature. Artists like Pollock believed that it was the viewer (and not the artist) who defines and interprets the meaning of the abstract expressionist artwork thus, there is no relevance to what the artist thinks or conveys while producing the work.
3) Bearbrick x Jackson Pollock Studio Version 2.0 1000% — Abstract expressionism is an art movement characterized by the free-associative gestures in paint and is sometimes referred to as “action painting.” This Jackson Pollock Bearbrick figure, the finest example of an action painting, can be found in several dimensions.
4) Bearbrick x Jackson Pollock Studio 1000% Chrome Ver. — Another studio version of Jackson Pollock Bearbrick figure but this time in a chrome version. Gestural abstraction is clearly evident in Pollock’s works which feature vigorous and spontaneous movement through seemingly chaotic marks.
5) Bearbrick x My First Baby Jackson Pollock Studio Ver. 1000% — This Jackson Pollock Bearbrick figure comes with a My First Baby design, resulting in a truly unique art toy. It features Pollock’s signature painting method with a transparent belly, a trademark of My Fist Baby Bearbrick figures.
6) Bearbrick x Jackson Pollack Studio Water Print 1000% — Jackson Pollock believed that art derived from the unconscious and saw himself as the essential subject of his painting, and judged his work and that of others on its inherent authenticity of personal expression. This remarkable Jackson Pollock Bearbrick figure comes in a few sizes as well.
7) Bearbrick x Jackson Pollock Studio 100% — All the way back from 2016, this Jackson Pollock Bearbrick figure reflects how Pollock let his moods determine the color and the direction and location of paint that he splattered on a canvas on the ground. It may look as though he merely stepped back and threw paint at the canvas, but every movement of the can or brush was done with purpose.